The Martial Arts and Fitness Centre are Full Affiliate Members of NAKMAS NATIONAL GOVERNING BODY
The National Association of Karate and Martial Art Schools, or the NAKMAS National Governing Body as it is commonly known, was formed in January 1992 and has become one of Britain's largest governing bodies, which represents over 500 clubs 100 associations and over 70,000 individual members.
NAKMAS' key areas of work are:-
* Child protection/codes of ethics (NSPCC approved policies)
* Coaching (currently to NVQ standards, but not exclusively)
* Safety (including Health & Safety, Martial Arts Code of Practice and Anti Bullying)
* Disability Martial Arts (physical, mental and learning differences)
* Insurance (to meet the requirements of all UK local authorities and other bodies)
Quality (to British and International Quality Standards (BS EN ISO 9001:2000)
* NAKMAS is controlled nationally by the NAKMAS Management Committee which meets several times per year. The NAKMAS Chairman and the NAKMAS Director of Operations work at the NAKMAS headquarters on a daily basis, assisted by administration staff. The NAKMAS Deputy Chairman also works from the NAKMAS headquarters on a casual basis.
* NAKMAS Management Committee is assisted by professional external advisors from time to time. These include; legal advisors, doctors, accountants and other professionals, who advise the Committee on a whole range of issues relating to NAKMAS as a whole.
* The contact between NAKMAS and its affiliated groups is done via the professionally produced in house magazine - "The NAKMAS Journal". Legal, medical and general advice including martial arts articles, calendar and news bulletins are included in each issue, as to ensure that essential information is fed to all NAKMAS groups on a frequent basis. Changes in legislation or essential government thinking is also fed back to NAKMAS groups via the NAKMAS Journal, as to keep all instructors and key members fully informed of developments. Additionally, NAKMAS groups are encouraged to supply articles, course information and general information that would benefit other NAKMAS affiliates as a whole.